Saturday, August 4, 2012

Interview with Linda Wright




I am an avid reader and enjoy reading all kinds of books. I decided to start a blog so I could keep track of the books I have read with a rating and review, share my love of books with others and get some feedback.

My favorite genres are fantasy, chick-lit, historical fiction, suspense, horror, science fiction, romance, and I guess pretty much anything. My favorite book is “Outlander” by Diana Garbaldon.  I also love “Gone With The Wind” by Margaret Mitchell.  My favorite series is “The Wheel of Time” by Robert Jordan, although I also enjoyed reading Stephen King's “The Dark Tower” series as well as some of his other earlier work, Charlaine Harris' “The Sooke Stackhouse Southern Vampire” series and J.D. Robb's “In Death” series. Plus many, many others like Robin Hobb, Terry Brooks, Anne Bishop, Tad Williams and Garth Nix.

I started reading when I was a child and I devoured all the books in “Anne of Green Gables”, the “Narnia” series as well as “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings”. To me the books were an escape into wonderful and exciting worlds. I shared these worlds with my children when they were little by reading these books to them.

In the fall I am going to start an online book club, called “Discover the Treasure”.  The focus is going to be on uplifting books. I am interested to hear from anyone who knows of any good uplifting books we can add onto our reading list.

Deirdra: What are your favorite kind of books to read and why?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com: My favorite genre is fantasy, but I love all kinds of books.  I really enjoy reading a good story that includes interesting characters, an exciting and unusual plot and a great ending. Books that end in a cliff-hanger are my least favorite, especially when the next installment isn’t due for several months or years.  I find it really hard to wait to find out what is going to happen next.

Deirdra: How many books on average would you say you read a year?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I usually read about 10 books a month, so about 120 a year.

Deirdra: What is the most recent book you read? Can you tell us a little about it?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I just finished reading George Orwell’s “1984”.  It is a classic science fiction novel.  At times I thought the writing was genius, but I did not agree with Mr. Orwell’s view of humanity.  Currently, I am reading Margret Atwood’s “Oryx and Crake”.  This is a dystopia novel and I am really enjoying the story.  The subject matter is really thought-provoking.

Deirdra: What is the most disappointing thing authors do?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  For me, the most disappointing thing is when a writer takes the easy way out. Some examples of this include: plot holes, disjointed transitions, a transparent plot, or an unsatisfying or cheap ending. I also find poor grammar distracting.  I recommend all new authors make sure their books are properly edited before they release them.

Deirdra: Who are your top five favorite authors?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  Robert Jordan, Jane Austen, Diana Garbaldon, Stephen King, Brandon Sanderson

Deirdra: How do you feel about e-books?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I love reading books on my e-reader because I find it so convenient. I can carry any number of books on a fairly small device.  I also really enjoy listening to audio books.  That way I can get my read on, while I drive, exercise or do housework.

Deirdra: If you could give a message to authors what would it be?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I would say: Thank you!! I really appreciate all the hard-work and effort that goes into creating a piece of literature.


Deirdra: Have you ever thought about writing a book?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  No, I have never considered writing a book, but I have decided to take a class on creative writing in the fall. I want to have a better understanding of the whole writing process. 

Deirdra: What other talents and hobbies to you have?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I love movies, gardening, cooking, animals and my family.  I also have my black belt in mixed martial arts.

Deirdra: Where is your favorite place to read?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com: On a rainy day, I love to sit in a comfortable chair in front of the fire, with my feet propped up while I sip a cup of coffee and read a great book.

Deirdra: Do you have a favorite reading snack?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I usually read while I eat my breakfast and I usually have tea and peanut butter toast for breakfast, so that would qualify as my favorite.

Deirdra: What books have made you cry?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  Sophie Kinsella can usually make me shed a tear or two.  I also cried while reading “Cutting For Stone”, but on the whole I am not a big crier.

Deirdra: What books have made you laugh?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I usually laugh out loud while reading Sophie Kinsella books, particularly the Shopaholic books.

Deirdra: What kind of books are you looking to read next? What is on your reading list?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  I have several new authors who have asked me to read and review their novels. I am also looking forward to the final installment in the “Wheel of Time” and I plan to read “Pillars of the Earth” by Ken Follett.

Deirdra: Is there any other message you would like to give the literary community?
Linda@Books-treasureortrash.com:  Thank you for putting your heart and soul into creating more literature for the world to enjoy. Please stop by http://books-treasureortrash.com and drop me a note, I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this, as an author I think it is really nice to read something by an avid reader. It gives you a sense of how worth while your efforts to grow and improve as a writer are. So thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to your site Linda. Wow... You have read a lot of books. I like your reviews better than the pretentious newspaper critics. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Share |