Thursday, January 31, 2013

Interview with Olutosin Ogunkolade






http://olutosinogunkolade.blogspot.com  It’s called the dreamer’s blog
When I’m not working or spending time with my young and growing family, I write articles or  add  to works I intend to publish. I can be very busy.



Deirdra: What do you do to relax and unwind?

I like spending time with my beautiful wife and my new born son.
I enjoy movies, visiting beautiful or historical sites and of course reading.
Whenever I can I find time to do all these things.


Deirdra:  Can you tell us a little about your book, Great Words For Great Living?

Great Words for Great Living is a book of over four hundred pages that has attracted a lot of praise. It’s  meant  to  be a manual that you work with by reading words  that  inspire and writing  out  your  thoughts  in the  note section.
It’s a way of learning from those who have gone ahead of us, those who are still here and those who have achieved something substantial in life. It’s a compilation of wisdom words and thoughts that have the potential to inspire to greatness. Where would  we  be  without the knowledge  of  others? Knowledge  is  the wheels on which greatness and exploits ride.
You will find the words and wisdom of men like Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela, James Dyson, King Cyrus the great, Winston Churchill, Elvis Presley, my humble self and many others in this inspiring and educative volume.


Deirdra:  What  do  you  hope  readers  will  get from  your  books?

I hope readers will be inspired to greater things after reading my books.
I hope that through my books they will be entertained to some degree.
I trust that they will contact insight that would have made my books worth reading.


Deirdra: What is your process of  brainstorming a story? Do you just sit down and write, waiting to see what happens next? Or do you outline first?

I don’t outline my work when I start writing. I believe more in flowing with the idea or inspiration as it comes. I sit down and write, I wait to see what happens next and build up the story or work with each phase of the book.


Deirdra: Do you need absolute quiet to write? Do you listen to music when you are writing?

I prefer absolute quietness when I am writing. I focus better that way, and it works for me. I tend to get distracted when music is playing as I try to write [within a noisy environment].


Deirdra:  What’s your secret to making the character’s in your books come to life?

I guess  putting  myself into the character I am writing about is a good way to go. You have to  feel  the characters you are writing about, that way it makes the characters more real.
If  the author who created them can feel a connection to them, it’s most likely the readers will feel connected to the authors character(s) as well.


Deirdra:  What  authors  do you  admire, and  why?

Wendy  Alec, Salman  Rushdie, Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker, Jonathan Cahn, JK Rowling and Francine Rivers. There is a Nigerian author based in the United Kingdom called Ben Okri, he also writes very well.
Their works have had an impact, they are creative, and their writing styles are unique.
I have enjoyed Barack Obama’s books as well.




Deirdra:  What  is  your  favorite  snack  to  have  while  you  are  writing?

I’ll  snack on  pretty  much  anything. I like my  food.


Deirdra:  Besides  writing  what other  talents  or  hobbies do  you  have?

I like calligraphy, I find it relaxing. I’ve taken a short course in it and I hope to go further  with  it  in the near future.
Why can’t I be a calligraphic scribe?
I enjoy drawing, I still draw occasionally, it’s something I have always liked since I was young.
I have perceptive and discerning skills. I think I have good business acumen.
Running, swimming, word puzzles and board games like chess, draught, monopoly are some of  my hobbies.



Deirdra:  What are you working on now?

I’m working on a Christian fiction book, it will be rather voluminous.
It’s titled ‘The Sword Of Goliath’
It’s my hope that it will be out this year. God willing.
I’m also working on an idea to help and promote the work of self published authors. It’s still a project under wraps, but any self publisher who is interested in knowing more can reach me at supertosin2002@yahoo.com


Deirdra:  What is the most difficult thing about being an author?
Accepting  criticism. Having to accept that your work won’t be everybody’s cup  of  tea.


Deirdra:  What is the best thing about being an author?
Knowing that there are people out there who value your thoughts and effort so much that they are willing to spend time reading a piece of my work. Knowing that I am influencing someone, somewhere in a positive way through my books is very rewarding.



Deirdra:  What are your goals as an author for the next three years?
My goal as an author over the next three years is to have written a stellar work; a Christian fiction book that resonates so well with the public, glorifies God and is made into a film. A major motion picture people can go and watch in the cinemas






Deirdra: What words of advice do you have for other writers who desire to have their manuscripts become books in print?

They  shouldn’t  give  up  on  their  dreams  even  if  it’s  not  working  out  as  fast  and  as  well  as  they  hope. Tomorrow   is  always  another  day.
It  seems  time  and  life  has  a  way  of  testing  us  to  see if  we  really mean  business  about  our  dreams.
They  should  also  ensure  that  the  waiting  period  before  their  manuscripts  are made  into  books  are  periods  they  use  to  research  deeply  and perfect  their  work.




Deirdra:  What is the best complement you could receive from a reader?

My  father telling me that my books are a worthy effort   is  and was enough complement for me.
Many  readers have said nice things about my work.


Deirdra: What  are  all  the different  ways  you  have promoted  your  book.

I have used   facebook advertisements, word of mouth publicity, email campaigns and many social networking sites and online interviews.
These   are  some  of  my  youtube  video links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBPklt0yJGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UeYaBBlneA




Deirdra: Where can readers go to find your books and order them?

My books ‘GREAT WORDS FOR GREAT LIVING’ and ‘MAKAIRA: the double edged sword’ are available through www.authorhouse.co.uk, www.amazon.com or  www.amazon.co.uk
You can get them through most online book retailers.




Deirdra: Any final words you would like to share?
To new and aspiring writers, they should know that writing a book should be only one side of their dream. Marketing and advertising it is the second and equally important part. Every writer needs the public to get their book sales up, so its important they have an effective marketing strategy.
I am working on a project that can make this happen for new and aspiring author, particularly those who have self published. Anyone who wants to know more can get in touch with me through my email address.
Thank you




Thank you so much. It’s a real honor to get your insights.



Book Reviews

I have around 20 people who read and review books for me. They use anonymous names and are completely honest about your book. They will also rate your book from 1 - 5 STARS.

I post your synopsis/pitch along with a cover and they volunteer to read you book on a first come first serve basis. Hard cover copies and children's books get picked up right away, e-book versons are not as popular, but I will still post them for review.

I can't edit their reviews, but if you would like to see the review before I post it please let me know.

If you are interested in having a reader review your books please email a copy to EdenLiterary@gmail.com. To send a hard copy please email me for a mailing address to send it to.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share |